SMTL are accredited by UKAS to ISO 17025, the international standard for testing laboratories.
Certificates and Test Schedule
- Current accreditation schedule (PDF download) on the UKAS web site,
- Verify and view our UKAS certificate of accreditation (web link). Note - if you have an ad-blocker enabled you may have to turn it off to see this page.
- Certificate of accreditation download from Accredible (PDF). [cached local copy]
Who are UKAS ?
"UKAS is the sole accreditation body recognised by government to assess, against internationally recognised standards, organisations that provide certification, testing, inspection and calibration services. Accreditation by UKAS demonstrates the competence, impartiality and sustainable performance of these evaluators."
What does UKAS Accredited mean?
UKAS is the organisation which assesses SMTL ISO 17025. Usually three inspectors, with different expertise, perform the accreditation inspection, and assuming that we comply with their requirements, they place us on a register showing that we have achieved the appropriate standard.
The inspection consists of a combination of assessing our quality system, checking our test reports and test methods and observing our technical staff performing a range of tests which they specify.
What is the benefit of a test report from a UKAS accredited laboratory ?
It's your assurance that the work has been carried out to the highest standards.
The laboratory issuing the certificate has been stringently assessed by independent experts, and you are assured that the agreed or specified methods and procedures have been followed.
- In addition, you will know that the measurements have been taken with instruments which have been appropriately maintained and calibrated to national and international standards.
- Many organisations across the world (government and commercial), will accept a test report from a UKAS accredited laboratory, reducing the likelihood of having to have products tested in each country.
Are all of SMTL's tests accredited ?
No - there are some tests which we perform rarely, or where customers have no need of accreditation, where it is not worth going to the expense of having the method accredited. However, SMTL continue to use the same quality system for this small number of non-accredited tests.